Thursday, July 5, 2012

Dinner and a movie...

Happy Thursday, everyone! I hope that everyone is recovering nicely from the 4th of July festivities. We had a great time and I have some fun firework pictures to share thanks to my lovely assistant, aka: my mom! So stay tuned, I might end up having a double post today to share those later.

I'm not sure about you, but with the holiday in the middle of the week, I am already thinking about what we are going to do this weekend. If you live in our local area, then I have the perfect evening planned for you...

So, last weekend, Jake and I decided that we were going to have dinner and go to a movie. Luckily, Moonrise Kingdom was opening at our local historic theater, Liberty Hall, and we were excited to see this movie, so it was an easy decision. Let me just say that We LOVE going to Liberty Hall to watch a movie. Not only is it historic, but it's in our local downtown district and might I add that you can drink a cold beverage while watching a movie. Also the ambiance is really great. Here's a picture I took with my iPhone right in front of the entrance.

They still have the red velvet curtains to keep the light out of the theater...so cool! 
As for Moonrise Kingdom, the cast is amazing:

Here is a synopsis of the movie via Liberty Hall.net Director: Wes Anderson (Fantastic Mr. Fox, Royal Tenenbaums, Rushomre, Bottle Rocket, Life Aquatic) // Stars: Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton, Jason Schwartzman, Jared Gilman, Kara Hayward // Set on an island off the coast of New England in the summer of 1965, Moonrise Kingdom tells the story of two twelve-year-olds who fall in love, make a secret pact, and run away together into the wilderness. As various authorities try to hunt them down, a violent storm is brewing off-shore -- and the peaceful island community is turned upside down in more ways than anyone can handle. // Rated PG-13 // 1hr 34 min


This has to be my favorite Wes Anderson movies. Sometimes the pictures that he directs can be a little thick for an evening where you want to relax, but this movie was very easy to watch. The cast did a wonderful job of not trying to steal the show and the younger actors did a great job with their roles. Albeit, sometimes, it felt like too much may have been expected from them theatrically. Overall, it was very enjoyable and the plot was adventurous and unexpected. I would definitely give this one two thumbs up and when it comes out in DVD, I plan to own it!

After the movie, we headed over to our local restaurant, Free State Brewery, which is one of my favorite places to eat in Lawrence. The food is great, the service is great, the prices are reasonable and the atmosphere is unmatched. I was happy that we decided to go to dinner after the movie because we easily were able to get a table and our food came quickly. This evening, I decided to go with the following:   


SONOMA SHRIMP FETTUCCINE Plump Gulf shrimp are brushed with olive oil and herbs, then char-grilled and served over fettuccine mingled with sautéed mushrooms and roma tomatoes. Finished in a rustic Vella Dry Jack cheese sauce and topped with crispy fried onions and chopped parsley and served with toasted rosemary focaccia bread.

And let just say, it was delish! So, there you have it folks! If you need a fun night out in our local area or you just want to see an awesome movie in your area, then here's your ticket to a fun time! You are welcome... Photobucket

Pin It

No comments: