Wednesday, May 16, 2012

My *Actual* Garden...A diary of a gardener...

So many of you have read posts about my "creative garden" a.k.a. - my etsy store, but this year, I am rekindling one of my favorite past times and growing an out of control slightly massive vegetable garden. Now that the little one is a bit older, she loves getting her hands dirty, so I have embraced her love for the outdoors and have created a perfect way for us to spend some outdoorsy time together. Luckily, I was able to find someone crazy patient enough to start heirloom plants from seed, so that has really helped my motivation. In future posts, I am going to introduce you to the different types of heirloom varieties. However, today, I am simply going to introduce you to my garden.

In the past, it has taken many forms; some of which have included an overgrown grapevine and blackberry bush nightmare...a sad, sad attempt at a last minute garden and at one time a vibrant and lovely garden that was so full of delicious veggies that we canned and ate salsa to our little hearts desires. In an effort to bring back this lovely garden to it's true form, I have spent a ridiculous amount of time working the dirt and cleaning out the past. In fact, it's been a bit of a cleansing process for me and I can honestly say that this year, it's going to be something quite special. The weather has been really great this spring and I am proud to say that this is a snapshot of my current garden...
In my garden, I have planted several different kinds of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, okra, pumpkins, squash and some other fun stuff that I can't wait to try and share with all of you... Of course, what garden would be complete without a scarecrow...Peyton and I managed to pull together a bunch of materials from the house to make this fun guy, which she lovingly named "Lighting McQueen, Mater, Doc Hudson (yes, that's one name :))...And just beyond the drop off and before the shed, there is a lovely area where we have planted a Monarch Way Station (more to come on that)...

For any of you who are looking for a couple of fun reads on gardening, you should definitely check these out... They are anecdotal in nature, but have some fun science to them too!


Have a lovely day, everyone! Happy Gardening!

Pin It

No comments: